Thursday, April 23, 2009

Anticipating the weekend...

I have another awesome yoga weekend coming up! Exciting...

I had a dream last night that I was at a yoga seminar with Diane, one of my favorite yoga teachers (and human beings) ever. I woke up with the dream in my head and was happy when I remembered that in two days I WILL be at a yoga seminar with Diane! I'm driving (4 hours) down to San Diego on Saturday morning for an all-day posture clinic and class with her. (Good job, brain, you actually know what's happening.) She owns a studio near Boston, but she is one of about 10 teachers authorized by Bikram to lead posture clinics, so she travels for seminars a lot, and when she told me she was coming out to SoCal I didn't even think twice before calling the studio in San Diego to sign up!

Wish I could describe her well, but it is hard to do. A few facts - she started practicing Bikram yoga in 1985, the year that I was born. She went to the second ever teacher training when Bikram started doing them in the 90s, so yeah, she is one of the originals. She is on the staff at the teacher trainings, and she seems to make a pretty awesome impression there cause she has QUITE a reputation and following. I kinda knew her reputation before I met her, so I was a little shy when I first went to take her class, but now we get along like a house on fire. She is loud, funny, perceptive, compassionate and loving, takes no bullshit, and know more about the yoga than anyone I've met with the exception of Bikram or Emmy. I used to go out to lunch with her and a bunch of other teachers after classes and everyone would just talk shop for hours and go through ridiculous amounts of pickles. I learned soooo much at those lunches - tons of information to soak in. Saying goodbye to her last August just SLAYED me. She called me "my little baby!!!" and I hugged her like 5 times. I have kept in good touch with her since I left, saw her over winter break and again in LA for the yoga championship weekend. She has kept of with my whole saga of "am I going to teacher training in the fall?" "am I going next week?" "am I going in 5 years?" and she has pretty much been unconditionally supportive.

So yeah, this is one of my favorite people ever, and I get to spend all day with her on Saturday and I'm stoked. :)

And THEN, on SUNDAY, I'm going back up to LA to pick up a very dear friend of mine at the airport and drive her out to the teacher training facility at Palm Springs! AHA, I get to spy! She is going to this training session and their orientation is Sunday. It was cheaper for her to fly into LAX than Palm Springs, so I told her to do that so we could hang out and have a mini road trip. I'm gonna take her to one of the big LA Whole Foods and to the beach, and then we'll drive out into the desert and she gets to start this huge new adventure, and it'll be great to see her off. I may be tempted to try to stow away under her bed, though... I shouldn't tease myself like this so much... but I think it will be really fun.

No comments: