Thursday, November 19, 2009

Let me sum up...

"Let me explain.  *pause.*  No, there is too much.  Let me sum up..."
 - Name that movie!  Bonus points for character, actor, and scene...

Good news for me!  I took my last (ever?!) exam on Monday afternoon, and gave my last (academic) oral presentation on Wednesday.  Yesssss.  Now all I have left to do is finish up my TA-ship and write 3 academic papers.  So yes, I still have a huge pile of work to do, but now it's down to 3 large tasks which I've somewhat started.  This is a huge improvement from this time last week, when I had 5 large tasks and half of them were untouched.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel of grad school.  And this time (as we used to say when I was an undergrad), it is NOT the oncoming train.

In my yoga world, well, my body is kinda shot at the moment!  It is soooo stiff and I think I strained a muscle a week or two ago.  I didn't practice on Monday or Tuesday (or sleep, really), since I was working on all my other projects.  But you know... I don't really care, because it's so temporary.  I rolled into class last night, sleep-deprived and stiff, and I was so excited to be there.  My postures wouldn't have made the cover of Bikram Yoga Magazine (heehee), but that is irrelevant.  It felt good to sweat, it felt good to move, it felt good to take my body through its full range of motion for that day, and it felt good to wake up my spine.  (I actually get pretty sore when I miss classes sometimes - go figure.)

I am really looking forward to building a new routine once I move out of this phase of my life and into the next one.  Finally, yoga gets to be top priority.  (Well, that and making a living.)  Yoga every day!  Advanced class every week!  Maybe even backbends and handstands!  Yeah!!  It's been a while since I really moved my practice forward.  I recently found a list that I wrote last winter that outlined the things I still had trouble doing and some of my yoga posture goals for the year, and I was like, "yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah."  I have accomplished... zero percent of that list.  What can I say?  Life happened.

(I DID accomplish a number of things that I never thought to put on that list.  Such as, you know, figuring out what I want to do with my life.  So that was good!)

But next year is a brand new year....

11 comments:

cirita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cirita said...

I wish I knew about Bikram Yoga when I did my master thesis 6 years ago. I remember working so hard day and night, sleeping only for 3 hours a day towards the end. I was exhausted. Bikram Yoga would have definitely helped me with sleep deprivation as well as bringing my energy levels up. Good luck with your studies. You are almost done!! You have the rest of your life to practice yoga :)

Catherine said...

The Princess Bride. Inigo Montoya. Mandy Patinkin. Right after Miracle Max revived Wesley from being Nearly Dead, and they were getting ready to storm the castle. (And I had it from the title, already. :-)

Dorothy said...

Next year is a brand new year! A year for yoga.

Yay for Princess Bride. I've been mostly dead all day...

thedancingj said...

cirita - Oh man, I know. I don't know HOW I would have gotten myself through school without Bikram! I guess I got through undergrad without it, but wow, I didn't know what I was missing!!

Catherine and Dorothy, that was beautiful, just beautiful. :-D I wish I had a real prize for you... if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something... anybody want a peanut?

hannahjustbreathe said...

You're so close to the finish line!! Yayyy!!! How exciting. When you come to Boston next month, we can REALLY celebrate. :)

tracik said...

Figuring out what you wanted to do with your life is THE best thing ever. So many people never figure it out and so never are truly, truly happy. Good for you!

bikramyogachick said...

Progress finishing your school stuff now, progress on the bikram later. No worries! Gosh, this post makes me want to watch Princess Bride again. It's been so long since I've seen it!
Can't wait to see you in a few weeks with Mei. We'll do some celebratin' in your studio!

Duffy Pratt said...

It is Inigo Montoya, but you got the quote wrong: It's "No, there is too much." Now I have to go back and actually read your post.

Cristina said...

I so totally understand you. First things first, finish up as you see the end and then on to new things, and back to the daily practice.

So happy for you that you are doing what you want and still get your graduation. Even if you think now that you won't work with it it will be a huge benefit in your life to have it.

thedancingj said...

Duffy - oh no, you're right! I've been misquoting all week! Fixed it!! Haha - we just rewatched that movie in my house last weekend and now we are obsessed with it all over again. I really need to get my own copy.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and cheers... I am hugely looking forward to all the celebrations next month!!