Sunday, October 25, 2009

A better mousetrap

Bikram always says that when you do this yoga, you do not have to chase money, money will chase you.  You don't have to chase the gods, the gods will chase you.  You don't have to chase the world, the world will chase you.

Umm... I think it's started working.

It's really cool.

This is a ridiculous analogy, but it kind of remind me of the game Mousetrap.  Did anyone else have that game as a kid?!  It's a game where you assemble this really complicated contraption with wheels, cranks, slides, springboards, buckets, all kinds of stuff.  I think there was a kicking boot involved in there somehow.  When the whole contraption is set up, you turn a crank that sends a little metal ball rolling  through all the different parts until it gets to the end and sets off the mousetrap, which catches the mouse.  (That's how you win the game.)  I hope that made sense to people who never played the game!  Will a picture help?

ANYWAY... I suddenly have the feeling that my life so far has been like the part of the game where you're just putting all these strange pieces together into a contraption that has no logical order or purpose.  And then a week or two ago, somebody started turning the crank, and now all hell has broken loose, but in a way that is predetermined and logical and perfect.

Sorry for being such a GIANT tease here.  I promise to tell the key parts of the story in a few weeks, but there are a couple things that I need to sort out first.  You can probably guess at one part of my plans, though.  (It's something that will make you guys really happy!)

In the meantime, I've got "No Such Thing" by John Mayer playing on repeat (and I was never a big John Mayer fan), and here are some lines from "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver, one of my all-time favorite poems:

Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting —
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is good when the pieces finally start settling into place, isn't it? Are we having our BYM Tuesday night date??!! :)

I love that you quoted Mary Oliver here! Such a genius poet. One of my favorites of hers is called "Mindful." Rather fitting, I'd say:

"It is what I was
born for--
to look, to listen,
to lose myself
inside this soft world,
to instruct myself,
over and over,
in joy,
and acclamation."

thedancingj said...

Oooh, that one is great too!!

And yes, I will call you... you won't even believe how much has happened just since LAST Tuesday!

bikramyogachick said...

J~ I'm so very happy that things are coming together for you. Can't wait to see you in Dec!

Dorothy said...

A. I loved Moustrap better than Hungry Hippos, so you know it was the shiz.

2. Mary Oliver is wicked cool. One of my faves is The Journey:

"One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice—
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles."

I'm serious about subscribing...

thedancingj said...

Thanks ladies! And Dorothy - wow, LOVE that one. Totally fitting. Thanks for that. :)

~m said...

if those plans include a certain 9 week absence from the real world, let me know so i can sponsor you with some tank tops to wear while you are gone. am i close?

thedancingj said...

I AM kind of transparent, huh? Don't worry m, I will give you plenty of heads up if and when that is the case... ;-)